Friday, August 22, 2008

Zusammen zu sein / To be together

Not to be overly corny, but I do need to comment on how much I've enjoyed the company of those around me. The other Fulbrighters are such a fun group, and all the students (unfortunately not many) that I've met here have been extraordinarily friendly.

Last night began with a simple gathering on a balcony. It wasn't long before a tall, thin Russian guy came out to talk to us (in English). It was slow going, but he was perfectly understandable. Quote of the evening: "hello, everyone! I don't speak English! .... But I can drink! Cheers!"

Afterwards, three of us participated in about an hour or so of (slightly drunken) improvisation on the piano, guitar, & violin (and we didn't stick strictly to our own instruments). Upon returning to my dorm, I ran into a German student (or at least I think she's German) who was extraordinarily friendly & kind and took the time to show me the laundry room, how the washing machine works, etc. We ended up having a very long, lively conversation. Such a joy to meet new people as well as strengthening existing friendships.

No comments: