Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Meine Sachen / My Things

Two suitcases, one duffel bag, a backpack, and a violin. A solid 150 lbs. of "stuff," an amount exceeding my body weight. These few items will be my material existence for a full calendar year, save for a box of books awaiting shipment and home furnishings/household items that I will purchase upon arrival or have provided for me.

Funny how this feels as though what I'm taking will define my existence. I've packed beyond my needs (in theory, one outfit and daily laundering would suffice) but far short of my desires, restricted by what I can physically carry. Although I certainly have enough clothing, it nevertheless seems like such a limited palette. This sense of deprivation is of course largely unfounded, but there is something behind it as well - perhaps emotional attachment to our favored possessions exists because our personal collections best demonstrate our tastes and preferences, and what besides our tastes and preferences best defines (or at least reflects) our individuality?

On the other hand, the further stripped down my luggage becomes in the next few days, the less I will have metaphorically holding me back. Maybe this is also a reflection of a chance for renewal and further discovery.

One small example of how going abroad will be exploratory is taking form as I type. My upcoming trip gives me an excellent excuse to start a blog, something that I've never tried. I've never been much of a writer. I spew my thoughts primarily through conversation and in my personal journal, mostly because I don't think I've quite found my writing voice. Unlike my personal tastes or preferences, what does or doesn't sound like me isn't patently obvious yet. Then again, an understanding of my writing voice will come if I examine what I produce, not some other way around. Life goings-on as writing fodder permitting, I suppose I can begin. And of course, welcome to my new blog. =)

No comments: