Sunday, August 17, 2008

Am Anfang / At the beginning

I finally have a chance to sit down and do a little bit of updating (although unfortunately not as much as I would like to cover.) This will therefore be my first post from Germany.

Settling in has been a bit of a challenge, fortunately not necessarily frustrating, but still somewhat difficult nonetheless. My dorm does not yet have internet, unfortunately, and since it is a 30-40 min. walk into town with internet cafes closing early & the library closed all of next week, I apologize for being difficult to reach.

Although Germany and the US are largely the same, I've found a number of differences almost immediately that will most certainly have an impact on my lifestyle. For example, although I had been warned by many that store hours in Germany are far more limited than they are in the US, reality didn't strike until yesterday, when I found that everything closed at 4 pm. Today is a Sunday, which means that indeed nothing is open except a smattering of restaurants. I suppose chores then can only be done on workdays, which are when we're busiest.

The other students here have all been very pleasant to converse with. I am also impressed by their intelligence and wisdom, and I feel that I have learned so much already in only these last few days. What an opportunity for personal growth this will be for me! Along these lines, yesterday I had an extremely interesting conversation with one of the students here about national identity & perception, and as I continue to digest some of my thoughts and come up with new ones, I will post more on this topic at a later time.

Highlights of my food explorations this past week:
a delicious barbecue for lunch today featuring marinated pork steaks & wonderful Wurstchen
a Knoblauchwurst Doenner yesterday
seared or baked Halloumi cheese w/ tomato ragout from the day before

No comments: