Monday, August 25, 2008

Erlebnisse und Erfahrungen / Event-experiences and Experiences

One of things that I love about learning German (or I suppose any other language) is that sometimes there are just better ways of describing things than can be done in English. Granted I was lucky to have started off with English, which happens to boast the largest vocabulary of any language on earth, and by quite a large margin. As a result, I haven't had much trouble finding precise ways of saying things, when necessary. But there have been many examples in our German class where there are 2 words for the same words in English. Usually these make little difference and are only confusing to a non-native speaker, but every now and again, they force one to think a little bit. This really confirms to me Chomsky's (or someone's) theory that, indeed, our thoughts are not only mediated by language, but are perhaps even formed by it.

One of the examples that I like is the difference between the words Erlebnis and Erfahrung in German. Both mean experience, but Erlebnis is more of an event, positive or negative, whereas Erfahrung is sort of a sum experience of all that one has been through and can generally be a bit more positive in connotation, though not always.

This made me think a bit more carefully about my own Erfahrungen. I think it's worth spending a bit more time appreciating one's Erlebnisse since this is generally how things that can seem ordinary to become Erfahrungen. And having spent a pretty relaxing and refreshing weekend of concert-going, Deutsch-reading, hanging out, and food-appreciating, I've decided that, as much as possible, this isn't a lifestyle I want to leave. I think the cost is unfortunately a bit of ambition, but hopefully it is worthwhile.

3 comments:

a simple traveler said...

hey! i'm learning and living germany through you and the "german/english" post titles! what is your german name? your blog title is "Lieder einer Amerikanischen Gesellin" but which word = elisa??

i didn't know that english has one of the largest vocabs in the world, wow, even more than german and spanish, interesting!

sounds like a fabulous time! kit!
Lan

Elisa said...

Hey, Lan! Good to hear from you!
Just FYI - the title of my blog means Songs of an American (Way)farer - hard to translate into English. I sort of stole it from a Mahler piece. =)

a simple traveler said...

that's such a beautiful name! when i was creating my travel blog in the beginning of the summer, i really wanted to use the word "wayfaring" as well. it's so descriptive and beautiful!

hope you're enjoying yourself and the fulbright crowd in germany!