Tuesday, January 5, 2010

More shoddy science

I hate science that's out there trying to counter conventional wisdom, general knowledge, and old wive's tales (that sometimes do hold truth to them). Case in point: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/05/g.spot.sex.women/index.html

Again, taking CNN articles with a grain of salt, I am absolutely flabbergasted that the study (or a study at least) that first doubted the existence of the G-spot came from a SURVEY where some women weren't sure they had the anatomical feature described. No, it wasn't that anatomical or functional studies couldn't find it. Because just about any woman knows that indeed there's a spot on the front wall of the vagina that is about the size of a small coin and that generally leads to or helps lead to orgasm. This shouldn't be so hard to figure out. With this many women going to gynecologists, can a systematic study not be undertaken? Ridiculous. And this doubt for the existence of the G spot has made many a woman doubt the reality of her very own anatomy and sexual function. How is it 2010 and there are still scientists too dumb to figure out one of the most basic biological functions? Meanwhile the general population has already figured it out very quickly in the bedroom. I'm completely flabbergasted and embarrassed for my scientific colleagues.

1 comment:

kim said...

I SAW THIS! How do I know the g-spot exists? Umm, because I have one. And I like it, dammit.

It all goes to serve sex-negativity and the idea that female sexuality and anatomy are strange and unknowable. Vaginas are not penises, and are therefore bad.