While my parents are gallivanting about in Rio de Janeiro, I'm of course stuck here this week thinking about my biochem midterm next week.
A primary goal, if not obsession, of my mom's at the moment is to find and purchase me a necklace containing one of their beautiful gems. This I thought was immensely sweet and was absolutely shocked, in fact horrified, to hear how much dough they'd be willing to drop for one of these things.
Then, of course, proceed the numerous conversations. =) These all have to do with inquiring about which color I preferred. In our first discussion, my mom describes how little jewelry I own, certainly nothing particularly nice, and that it'd be good to have something on hand for any important events I may have to attend. No alarm bells yet.
Next conversation: the reasoning now includes the need to purchase a gift for me so that I have an heirloom to pass on to my daughter and her daughter, and if I have no daughters, then it would be my daughter-in-law. (I'm nowhere near being a daughter-in-law yet, much less having one.)
The third conversation really started to drive the point home, that she would like for me to have something to wear at my engagement party or rehearsal dinner.
Since when has my mom been planning my engagement party??? And furthermore, why??? I'm 23 years old, single as can be and definitely enjoying it very much, and nowhere near ready to get settled down even if I were to find myself in a relationship in the near future.
Cute how my mom is already thinking so far ahead. Cute but slightly sinister if this is also her way of trying to get me hitched... we'll see where it leads... =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment