Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Toleranz
In the process of writing my essay for German class on the ban of headscarves in German public school classrooms, I've begin to think about and question some of the fundamental assumptions I and others make. For one thing, what really is tolerance? It is a term that almost always refers to how those in "higher" positions, i.e. those with power such as a member of the majority, view and treat those in "lower" positions. Taking this as the definition, then tolerance is the tendency toward individual rights and freedoms over interference and protection. This becomes difficult when one of the "higher" group sees one of the "lower" group doing something that is disapproved. Too much tolerance also carries the connotation that the subject in question is somehow incapable of living up to a higher standard than the one they've set for themselves. But too little tolerance is nothing more than arrogance and suppression when the powerful sets the rules for the weak. Where should one stand? And what does one do in the face of intolerance? Should one also be tolerant of it? This then can easily become a strange cycle: as an example, I am currently intolerant of the Germans' intolerance of intolerance within Muslim communities toward women. Does that mean I support how women are treated in these communities? Certainly not, but leaving their society to deal with its own problems is out of both respect and possibly irresponsibility.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment