Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why is feminism still an uprising, and at worst, even a hate movement?

I can't believe that in 2010, as I sit and try to enjoy the Winter Olympic, a lovely NBC local editorial snippet comes on to decry the underrepresentation of women executives, particular in technology companies, and then continues on to lambast these companies and to call for "smashing the old boys club." Since when did feminism become trying to snatch a bit of the pie instead of fighting for individual rights and liberties? These types of messages sound uppity and irritating at best and even dangerous and militant at worst. I'm now more and more embarrassed to call myself a feminist (which I consider myself to be) when I am in the company of these hotheaded whiners who offer no real suggestions, have no patience or understanding of the complexity of these matters, and who rely on fear to push their agenda forward. It's an embarrassment to what was a cause of humanity and will do nothing but hurt efforts already in place.

No comments: