Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Es kann nicht schneller gehen / It just can't go any faster

In the midst of moving out, I'm finally learning for myself a valuable lesson my mom & other "elders" have always tried to drive home: one really doesn't need that much stuff to get by and it's not worth the trouble of getting rid of it later. This might be a minor point, but there were countless other things that I simply had to learn for myself - no amount of advice, even advice I readily accepted, could truly teach me something.
This is a rather tragic aspect of human nature, that while we are so good at passing on a rich legacy of ideas, knowledge, and wisdom, we are somehow all doomed to repeat more or less the same things our previous generations lived through before we get anywhere.
But more importantly, this seems to be true of societies as well. I used to get so upset that societies couldn't learn from each other in areas where others were already by luck more advanced. But societies truly are super-beings and function so remarkably similar to individuals that maybe this applies as well.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I just found your blog! yeah, I'm moving too, you worded my sentiments perfectly :)